VENUES

Bars, clubs, theatres and dancehalls
Blue Stocking

Blue Stocking

Crowded into the packed, densely populated streets of north Berlin were a network of after-hours ‘Dielen’ – mostly cellar bars and clubs attracting a wide variety of fun-seekers, petty criminals, drug-dealers and prostitutes. British tour operator Cooks, ran late-night coaches to the many semi-criminal clubs in the area, presumably catering to clients for whom the …

Blue Stocking Read More »

Clärchens Ballhaus

Clärchens Ballhaus

Situated in Auguststraße in the Mitte district of Berlin, Clärchens Ballhaus is possibly the last original Weimar-era dancehall. It was opened in 1913 by Fritz Bühler as Bühler’s Ballhaus. It became known as Clärchens Ballhaus after Fritz Bühler was killed in the First World War and the business was taken over by his widow, Clara. …

Clärchens Ballhaus Read More »

Eldorado

Eldorado

The Eldorado has had a complicated history in and around Schöneberg with several establishments claiming the name righter the years. In 1919, a bar called Eldorado-Diele opened at Alte Jakobstraße 60, in the Kreuzberg district of the city. It advertised itself as a cosy bar-restaurant for older gay men. It was only to last two …

Eldorado Read More »

Femina-Palast

Femina-Palast

“Sitting in the Dschungel, on Nürnberger Straße A man lost in time Near KaDeWe.” David Bowie, January 2013 – Where Are We Now The Femina-Palast was built in 1928 by architects Richard Bielenberg and Josef Moser for businessman Heinrich Liemann. Occupying Nürnberger Straße 50-53 on the border of Schöneberg and Charlottenberg and at 185 metres …

Femina-Palast Read More »

Haus Vaterland

Haus Vaterland

Occupying almost the entire Potzdamer Platz, one of the vast pleasure palaces of late 1920s Berlin was Haus Vaterland. The impressively domed, 6-storey building was constructed in 1911 by architect Franz Schwechten and opened as House Potsdam. Immediately to the east of the railway station, it initially housed offices, an ÜFA cinema, and a 2500-seater …

Haus Vaterland Read More »

Jockey Bar

Jockey Bar

The Jockey Bar opened in 1929 in what was then Lutherstraße 2, in the Charlottenburg district of the city. It is now Keithstraße 17 and tucked into the northern-most corner of Schöneberg, at the junction with Kurfürstenstraße. (image : Edition Gauglitz) From 1925 to 1929, the premises had been a German/Russian restaurant called Yar, but …

Jockey Bar Read More »

Kadeko

Kadeko

The most successful cabaret of the later Weimar years was the Kabarett der Komiker or Kadeko (Cabaret of Comedians). It was established on December 1st 1924 by Paul Morgan, Kurt Robitschek and actor/singer Max Hansen at a venue called Rakete (the Rocket) in Berlins’ Kantstraße. The venture was immediately successful and a year later moved …

Kadeko Read More »

Kakadu Bar

Kakadu Bar

On its completion in the late 1800s, the area around Joachimstaler Platz on the corner of the Ku’damm resembled an open-air arena with tiered bleacher-style seating for 10,000 spectators. In July 1890 it played host to Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, featuring 200 cowboys, indians and horses. The Kakadu opened at the corner of Joachimstaler …

Kakadu Bar Read More »

Metropol

Metropol

Construction started in 1905 on the new centre-piece of western Berlin’s Nollendorfplatz, the Neues Schauspielhaus. The huge theatre and concert hall, designed by architects Boswau & Knauer, opened in 1906 with a production of Shakespeare’s The Tempest in the 1260-seat theatre. By 1911, the Mozartsaale concert hall had been converted into a cinema, seating 1364. …

Metropol Read More »

Renaissance-Theater

Renaissance-Theater

The Renaissance-Theater in Charlottenburg’s Knesebeckstraße is the only fully-preserved Art Deco theatre in Europe. It was founded in 1922 by the Viennese writer Theodor Tagger, who wrote under the name of Ferdinand Bruckner, and is regarded today as one of the most important playwrights of the Weimar Era. The first theatre production in the former …

Renaissance-Theater Read More »

Resi

Resi

The ‘Resi’ was the nickname of a vast, luxurious dance-hall called The Residenz-Casino at Blumentrasse 10, just by Alexanderplatz. At various times in its history it has been known as Balhaus Resi, Tanzpalast Resi, Residenz Casino and just plain Resi. It was built and opened in 1908 by Paul Baatz, but it was in the …

Resi Read More »

Scala

Scala

The Scala was built in 1920 by a consortium of nine wealthy Jewish business people, including the Dutch aviation pioneer Anton Fokker. It was situated at Lutherstraße 22-24 on the corner of Augsburgerstraße , now Martin-Luther Straße 12-14 at the corner of Fuggerstraße. It was hugely successful and rapidly became the most famous Vaudeville stage …

Scala Read More »

Silhouette

Silhouette

“lacking in splendour and dull on the outside, the interior is cozy and warm like a boudoir. The name is etched across the front in silver, rococo lettering. Inside it may be lacking in width, but not in wealth. The narrowness extends to the dance floor, a long red carpet over parquet. On both sides …

Silhouette Read More »

Stork’s Nest

Stork’s Nest

The Stork’s Nest Cabaret is widely believed to be the inspiration for the cabaret venue featured in the iconic 1930 Marlene Dietrich movie The Blue Angel. It was at 42 Oranienburger Strasse, close to the Friedrichstadt Palast and existed from 1923 to 1931. On the outside of the building was colourful canopy sheltering a glass …

Stork’s Nest Read More »

Tingeltangel

Tingeltangel

At the other end of the spectrum from the vast stages of The Scala and The Wintergarten was the ‘tingeltangel’. Often no more than a raised platform in a bar or restaurant, it featured both those at the very start and those at the very end of their cabaret careers. The scenes featured in the …

Tingeltangel Read More »

Titania Palast

Titania Palast

In late January 1928, Berliners witnessed the opening of a luxurious, state-of-the-art cinema and theatre complex in the unlikely setting of the south-western suburb of Steglitz. The 2,000 seater Titania-Palast opened on 26th January 1928, with the gala premiere of the silent film Der Sprung ins Glück starring the Italian actress Carmen Boni, local-born star …

Titania Palast Read More »

Weisse Maus

Weisse Maus

The Weisse Maus (White Mouse) opened in 1919, at Jägerstraße 18. The busy Friedrichstadt area of Berlin was famous for its numerous cabaret clubs and revue theatres. It is rumoured to have acquired it’s name as it was across the Friedrichstraße from Rudolph Nelson’s cabaret Chat Noir (The Black Cat). It is described as a …

Weisse Maus Read More »